
Behold the Man by Simon Dewey.
Today as I was laying on couch reading my book, Behold the Man and Isabel came in with a bottle of my new very fragrant lotion and asked if she could massage my feet. I was puzzled because she has never offered such a thing. How could I refuse? Just as she started to rub my feet I began to read a passage in my book where Peter the Apostle is telling a story about Mary, sister to Martha and Lazarus,
"After supper we were still reclining around the table, just talking. Then Mary, Martha's sister got up and left the table. I thought she was going to clear away the dishes, which seemed odd, since we weren't at her home, but I didn't pay much attention. A few moments later she came out with a box." Peter held out his hands to indicate the size of the container. "It was very beautiful. She must have brought it with her when she came."
"What was in it?" (Simeon asked)
Peter seemed not to have heard. "At that, all conversation stopped, and we turned to see what she was doing. She drew a jar from the box, took the lid of the jar, and instantly the odor of spikenard filled the room."
"Spikenard?" Simeon echoed.
"Yes there must have been a pound of it."
Simeon whistled softly. Spikenard as the Greeks called it, or nard in Hebrew, was one of the most expensive of perfumes. Like balsam, frankincense, and myrrh, the other costly aromatics spikenard was not something that would commonly be found around the house. Not unless the person was very rich. Mary and Martha and Lazarus were prosperous, but they were certainly not wealthy.
"To our complete amazement, Mary came and kneeled down beside Jesus. Since we were still reclining around the table, his feet were extended outward, toward the room. Jesus sat up, but otherwise didn't move."
Peter was quiet for several moments, and it was obvious that he was moved by the memory in his mind. Finally, he looked at Simeon. "She poured the ointment into her hand and then began to rub it very slowly and very gently on his feet."
Simeon's eyebrows lifted.
Peter nodded. "It was the most solemn moment. She anointed every part of both of his feet. She never spoke a word, just looked up at Jesus from time to time with those large eyes of hers. They were filled with love and sorrow and joy, all at the same time. When she was done she bent down and wiped his feet with her hair." Peters eyes were suddenly shining in the morning light. "It's probably the most sacred of acts of pure devotion I have ever witnessed. I shall never forget it."
You can only imagine the emotion I had and the impact of having my own feet rubbed at the same time.
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Kids are so close to perfect
Posted by
Worthen World
at
3:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh, Margo how precious was that? I love all your children, but your smallest sparkler is so extremely special it's not even funny. That was the most precious thing I have heard in a long time. Write that in her journal or yours. That is a keeper. Love ya girl and thanks for sharing such a unforgettable tender moment.
Margo, I loved reading today's comment. How touching it was. I also loved the Worthen & Co sign - it made me homesick for Mesa. Hope you don't mind that I found your blog link on Kendall's blog and popped over to say hello. If you will send me your email address - I will send you the link to my blog so we can keep in touch. I cannot believe that Riley is 15!!
I haven't talked to too many of the family since my dad passed away in December, but wanted you to know that we are all still alive and well out here in Georgia.
Love your blog, by the way - I will come back and visit often. :-)
Dave's cousin,
Becky (Stradling) Blake
(Robert's daughter) Just in case you didn't know who was writing ya! :-)
blakesinga@cox.net
Thanks for sharing your beautiful insights! It touched my heart.
Post a Comment