Sunday, August 26, 2007

What a wonderful week!!!

Last week was such a great week!

Starting Wednesday night with girls night out. We went to dessert at Macaroni Grill. Their chocolate cake was ginormous, I was lucky to finish half of it. We have such awesome women in my ward. It amazes that you can pull of group of woman that you may not know very well together and have such a great time. After dessert we went to see Becoming Jane (click on link to watch trailor). What a beautifully sad love story that makes you feel so grateful to have love and be loved. I had such a great time out with the girls just being giggly and immature. Thanks Girlz!!!
Thursday Morning I was talking to my sis-in-law Shammah and she mentioned that she was going to the stake institute class. I had been wanting to go soooooo bad, but didn't have a sitter for Isabel. I couldn't stand it any longer, I had to go. The class started at 9:00, it was 8:45 I was still in my jammies. I quickly hung up the phone called Ashley to babysit, she agreed. I got Isabel dressed, I got dressed (even a little make-up), dropped Isabel off at the sitter and arrived at the stake center a few minutes early. What a record!!! It goes to show that you can do anything you set your mind to. The class was wonderful! We are studying Doctrines of the Gospel, our first week study was on Divine Truth. I felt the spirit very strong as we discussed this topic.
Since Dave doesn't work on Fridays, Thursday night was a date night for us. We went to dinner at Outback.
Friday morning my hubby took me to the Mesa Temple.
It was so wonderful to be in the Temple again with my husband. I felt an overwhelming feeling of gratitude that I will have my family forever! My neighbor across the street lost his son a couple of years ago and I will never forget what he said to me... With tears streaming down his cheeks,"What is the point in loving when you will just loose them". I thought of that experience while I was in the temple and realized that it is sooo important to share what we know because we are so blessed.
Saturday was a fun family day!
Saturday night we went to the Adult session of Stake Conference. Richard G. Hinkley spoke to us and it was plain to see that he has the same wonderful humor as his father President Hinkley. He is a very sweet man. After he gave a short talk he opened it up to questions from the audience. Someone asked him what was is like growing up in the Hinkley household and how they were disciplined. I loved hearing him talk about growing up and the kind of parent President and Sister Hinkley were. It sounds like they were very real and good parents. He said that there was very clear yet unspoken understanding of what was expected of them and they were not really punished very harshly.
He said that many people ask if they had deep doctrinal conversations at the dinner table, he replied that they usually talked about things like did you mow the lawn. Sounds pretty normal to me. It's nice to hear that extraordinary families are also pretty ordinary.

3 comments:

April Bethea said...

I am so jealous! I want to go to institute so bad to, but since I homeschool it makes it harder to find a babysitter for two grown boys (& it throws off their schooling)... What was the setting like, do you think I could bring them and set them up in the back with their schoolwork? I also LOVED Elder Hinckley - he was so funny & I really learned a lot. I am definately going to "lower my expectations" as Sister Hinckley said - haha!

Wes Dyer said...

How amazing to hear from Richard Hinkley. If you ever get a chance I would LOVE to hear more about it! Amber Dyer

Anonymous said...

oh, I'm gelous. We missed stake confrence, because tyson isn't feeling well, but I've heard it was so good. Something I think both jason and I needed to hear. Isn't the temple so gorgeous. I love it. I wish jason could go with me, hopefully soon. Your kids are so cute. ladies night was so fun, I can't wait to do it again.